Sunday, June 28, 2015

How this Utah Girl met her Cali Boy, part 1

May 2014:

There was a knock at the door. It was the Stake President of the Young Single Adult (YSA) Stake. Earlier in the year, my parents were called in to be interviewed for a potential calling in the YSA Ward Bishopric. The Stake President then said to my dad, "We would like to call you to be the 2nd Counselor in the Bishopric."

I had been debating for a few months if I should go to the singles ward, but had been very anti-singles ward for a while. I guess that Heavenly Father had gotten fed up with my attitude about it and this was a way to almost force me to go. (jk, my parents are great and need to be in the ward, it wasn't all about me.) A lot of people in my home ward had that same opinion and let me know it! (in a very loving way)

The Sunday that my dad was officially put into the bishopric, one of the lady's that my mom and I visit taught in the home ward was blessing her baby. Because my mom had to be in the singles ward for when the change was announced, I stayed at the home ward for the baby blessing. After the blessing, I headed to the singles ward.

As I walk into the chapel of the singles ward, my mom is up bearing her testimony and talking about her kids. I walk in the door and stand at the back as she says, "My middle daughter will be coming to this ward, and oh, she just walked in!" Eyes....lots of eyes turn around and look at me. Thanks Mom. Ruined my plans to lay low in the new ward.

Fortunately (or so I thought at the time) I was going to Ghana in June, and then Young Women's Girl's Camp was in the 2nd week of July, which I was Assistant Camp Director. So, I didn't end up going into the singles ward OFFICIALLY until the 3rd week of July.

As the 2nd Counselor couple, my parents were in charge of going and helping with Family Home Evening (FHE) each Monday night. Once I got back from Ghana, I started going to FHE at the ward each week. I didn't really talk to a whole lot of people there....until the Summer Snowball Fight, where everything changed for me in the ward.



 photo beccasig_zps2c2033ee.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...